Huawei's E5573C is a handy mobile WiFi hot spot perfect for creating on the go networks. We have seen these devices used for personal internet access while traveling, but also as a great fit for solutions that require a high degree of mobility such as traveling demos, one time use digital tools like real estate scanners, and even remote deployments where regular internet access is hard to come by. In this guide we go over the setup required to get the E5573C working on the Hologram network using our global IoT SIM.
Before we begin, please make sure that you have a Hologram account.
1) First we need to make sure to activate our Hologram SIM on the Dashboard. Here is a guides that walks you through that process.
Once your SIM shows a green dot that indicates that its in LIVE status on the Dashboard we are ready to move on to the E5573C.
2) Next we need to insert the SIM into the mobile hot spot. The E5573C takes a Mini SIM which is the largest notched size.
Make sure to follow the orientation diagram on the device and push the SIM card until it clicks into place.
At this point you might want to take a picture of the information located by the SIM card slot as we will need it later and your battery will be covering it.
3) Place the battery into the hot spot, and press and hold the center button on the front until you see the LED status indicators light up. When the LEDs settle you should see a red light on the signal side and a green light on the battery side (assuming your device is charged). This lets us know that the device has power, but is having issues connecting to the network. To solve this we need to set the device's APN.
4) On your computer, look for the network that is created by the E5573C. It's name should be listed on the cover of your device and looks something along the lines of “Huawi-XY##”.
5) Once we are connected, open up an internet browser and go to the page:
192.168.8.1 . You might be prompted for a password. If so, that can be found in the information panel beside the SIM card slot. If you are following this tutorial you should have a picture of this information. Once you are done entering that you should have access to the administrator dashboard.
6) Next you will be prompted to rename your network. In this panel you also have the option to modify the network's password which we recommend doing. Once you are done hit the next button.
7) The next step will ask you about updating the configuration. Here we recommend the Auto-download.
8) The last part of the Quick Setup is modifying the administrator's password. Please keep in mind that this is different than the network's password.
9) Once you hit the Finish button you will be taken to the devices main menu. From here we will need to set up the network configuration. To do so, go to Settings.
Once in settings go to Dial-Up Connect to make sure Data roaming is enabled.
After hitting Apply you will get a pop-up dialog telling you that data roaming could lead to extra charges. Roaming is a necessary part of Hologram's network and as such is not something you will be charged extra for.
10) Still under Settings go to Dial-up Profile Management and hit the New Profile button.
Here you will want to give the profile a name and set the APN as hologram. There is no username or password so those fields are left empty. Once you are done hit the Save button followed by the Apply button on the main page.
Your profile settings should look like this:
At this point you should be all set. Going back to Home should show your connection settings
and both LEDs on your E5573C should be green.