Digital Matters' Oyster Cellular is a compact, rugged GPS/GLOSNASS tracking device designed for heavy duty usage. It features a long battery life, an IP67 rated housing that is UV stable, and comes paired with an asset tracking suite that makes it a breeze to get started in no time.
Before we begin we need to make sure that our Oyster will work in the country we are in and with the available technology. The Oyster Cellular comes in two versions one with a modem that operates on the 850/900/2100 frequencies traditionally associated with EMEA/APAC/Latin America and another that operates on the 850/1900/AWS frequencies traditionally associated with North America. Finding what bands operate in the country you wish to deploy can easily be done with a Google search. The Hologram SIM works in 196 countries and with all cellular technologies (2G, 3G, and 4G), but not all countries offer all cellular technologies. Feel free to reach out in our forum if you have specific coverage questions.
1) First we need to make sure to activate our Hologram SIM on the Dashboard. Here is a guide that walks you through that process.
Once your SIM shows a green dot that indicates that its in LIVE status on the Dashboard we are ready to move on to the Oyster.
2) Next we need to insert the SIM into the Oyster. Open up the casing to reveal the circuitry, remove it, and identify the SIM tray. The device takes a Micro SIM which is the second largest notched size.
Make sure to follow the orientation diagram on the device and push the SIM card all the way into the SIM port. While you are here make note of your Oyster's serial number as we will need that later.
3) Flip the Oyster over and place in your batteries. Your device should turn on and the LED should stat flashing. Please note that Digital Matter points out that it is very important to use 1.5V Lithium AA batteries to maximize battery life.
4) Next we need to set the APN. We will do this via the Hologram Dashboard since there is no additional cost to send SMS messages from there. To do this, go to your SIM's page, by clicking on it in the Devices Page. Next go to Messaging Send to Device and make sure you are on the via SMS tab. From there enter
#*,APN,hologram and hit Send SMS message.
5) Once we are connected open up an internet browser on your computer, log into https://telematics.guru/ and go to Assets.
On the top part of the page hit the Create New Asset button. Here you will need to add a Name, set Device Type to Oyster - 2G/3G/LTE(4G), and enter the Device's Serial which we made note of in step 2.
Hit the Save button.
Your device is now set up. It might take a few minutes for the Telematics page to show the connection. However, on the Hologram Dashboard you can check for ongoing connections by looking to see if the status light is green for live or blue for active connection. You can double check your successful connection by going to the asset's settings, going to edit, and checking that your SIM's Serial Number (ICCID) shows up on the Advanced tab.
6) Close the device's case making sure to follow Digital Matter's instructions on doing so to retain its IP-67 Rating