Setting up data limits is the best way to make sure your devices don't exceed a certain data threshold. Upon reaching the limit your SIM will no longer have access to data until the billing cycle renews or the data limit is modified. The organization's owner will also get an email notifying them of the pause.
A Data usage limit defines the total amount of data the device can consume during a billing period, and is commonly used to prevent data overages on Pay Monthly data plans with a set amount of included data. You can set a data usage limit in in kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes. When a SIM reaches the limit you set, it is paused.
Note: Data usage limits come into effect after the data session in which the limit is reached ends. There is a chance that your device consumes more data than allowed via the Data usage limit feature.
Setting up data usage limits for a single device
You can set data usage limits on one of two pages, depending on your account.
1a) After opening the device page for a SIM, open the Data usage limits tab and select from the options available in the Set data usage limit card.
1b) If a Data usage limits tab is not available, the Set data usage limit card can be found in the Data plan tab of the device's page.
2) In the Set data usage limit card click on the Change usage limit dropdown. This will show you the device's data limit options.
- Unlimited: No data limit. Device can use as much data as it needs.
- No additional usage: Device will automatically be paused when data use exceeds the allotted plan amount. This option does not apply to Pay as you Go data plans that allow for unlimited data usage.
- Custom amount: Set a data usage limit in kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes, after which the device will be automatically paused.
3) Choose your preferred option and hit the Update data usage limit button. If you select Custom amount you will be prompted to enter your desired data limit.
Setting up data limits for multiple devices
You can also apply data usage limits to more than one device from the Devices page.
1) From the Devices section in your dashboard, select which devices to apply the limit to by checking the box beside their name.
2) Open the Manage dropdown and select Set data usage limits.
3) Choose your preferred option and hit the Update button. If you select Custom amount you will be prompted to enter your desired data usage limit in kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes.
Note: Data usage limits are set per SIM, not on total usage for your organization or for a data plan. You can also set limits in bulk via the REST API.